I started drinking green smoothies for breakfast about 3 years ago + quickly became hooked. I had more energy, my skin was clearer, and I felt more motivated to make healthy choices the rest of the day! The benefits are endless. (I mean, you are basically having a salad for breakfast…score!) One of the best parts is there are so many ways you can mix it up, not only to keep the flavors interesting, but also to reap different health benefits from different ingredients.
Now I am sure I am not the only one, but I cannot drink a smoothie that has chunks in it, especially chunks of greens. (The point is to not know the greens are in there). The method I swear by is to ‘blend until smooth’ after adding each ingredient, rather than throwing everything in together and blending. I like to use either kale or spinach, or a mix of the two. They each have amazing health benefits so I like to mix them to get benefits of both! I promise you cannot even taste it by the time you blend everything up and are sippin’ away on this delicious smoothie! I sometimes use vanilla almond milk as my liquid base, but lately have been using pineapple juice. I always use bananas in my green smoothie, they are key for adding sweetness + thickening the consistency. After blending the greens and liquid base, adding 1-2 bananas and blending again, you add in your accent fruit. My go-to picks are strawberries, mango, or pineapple. I usually keep it simple and just pick one accent fruit, but sometimes will throw multiple in if I am feelin’ fancy. Lastly, I add stevia, honey, or agave to sweeten to taste. That is the most basic smoothie that I drink most often. However my occasional add-ins include:
- Avocado: makes the smoothie soo creamy + smooth, plus adds tons of healthy fats
- Chia Seeds: tiny little seed that are packed with protein + Omega-3’s…they absorb liquid and expand, making your smoothie a little thicker, and adding protein
- Additional fruit + berries: like I said earlier, it’s fun to mix up the flavors and see what pairs well together!
My recipe makes 2 servings. I like to make them at night, store them in airtight cups with lids, and then voilà, an easy, on-the-go breakfast that is perfect when you’re running out the door! I also like letting them sit overnight because the flavors mesh a bit and it gets cold. I don’t add ice to my smoothies because it waters the flavor down, so chilling overnight is the perfect solution for me! The 2nd day smoothie is always still good, so you can definitely meal-prep these a couple days in advance.
Green Goodness Smoothie
Makes 2 Servings
- 4 cups greens (kale, spinach, or a mix)
- 1 cup liquid base (juice, nut milk, coconut water)
- 1-2 bananas (add more if you prefer a sweeter taste, less if you don’t)
- 1.5 cups accent fruit (pineapple, mango, berries, etc)
- Stevia, honey, or agave to taste (optional)
- Add-ins (avocado, chia seeds, flax seed, protein powder) (optional)
- Add greens to blender and pour liquid base over them. Blend until smooth and green chunks are no longer visible.
- Add bananas and blend until smooth.
- Add accent fruit and blend until smooth.
- Sweeten to taste, and add any add-ins you’d like
- Sip + enjoy knowing you’re giving your body amazing nourishment to rock your day!
Has anyone else tried a green smoothie recipe or have any other smoothies they love?! Let me know below!